Monday, February 23, 2009

College Background: The Comeback



Once the summer came, I mapped out a plan to come back in time to run for indoor track at Manhattan College. I had to get over the past and try to comeback. But no matter what I did, I could not run more than 2 miles a day. My calf did not hurt, it just felt like it was not there, it was a feeling that is very hard to explain. I brushed it off and just drank, surfed, and hung out with my girlfriend the whole summer. When I went to college I got caught up in too much partying and other things. I tried to run once again and my leg just kept hurting, I eventually just called me dad breaking down crying about how I just want to be able to run again. So we went to the hospital of special surgery in NYC. I was diagnosed with compartment syndrome, which was inevitable because it is heriditary. Compartment syndrome is when your muscle sheath is too small and your calf muscles are too big, so they can not contract. It made perfect sense. I am glad I went to a real doctor in NYC. I swear orthepedists, unless they are top notch, are the biggest joke of a profession. I could be an orthepedist right now, How? Easy. All I would do is tell an injured person to get a fucking m.r.i. and when I got the results I would tell them to go to physical therapy. Anyway I was scheduled to get surgery on december 17th. Before I left for school I was at a bar sipping on some gin and tonic, and I looked at myself in the mirror and realized what a huge waste I had become. I had forgotten what I used to be like. 

SURGERY AND BEYOND

The Weeks after surgery were very awful. My doctor assured me it was a 100% success. She said my calf was really trapped and when she released the pressure it shot out. I cant tell to, my calfs are are bigger now. I had a great physical therapist, and he got me right back on track. All my friends were good to me during that time, coming to visit me when I could not go out, and picking me up to go out when I could not drive. Same with my ex girlfriend, she was over just about everyday, and I really think they all helped me recover faster. 

Now I am back at college, I just ordered a new pair of Newton Running shoes, and I am starting to alternate running and walking and my calves feel very very very good. I haven't felt this good in a long time. It's been a long road to recovery, and I've been through a lot, but I'm going to keep at it. 

No comments: